Reflect on a specific gender expectation imposed by your culture that has been the most challenging to navigate. In 2-3 sentences, describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Ensure your response is concise, vivid, and focused on personal experience.

 Writing Prompt: One gender expectation that has been particularly challenging for me to maintain is having more female friends than male friends. Growing up, I surrendered myself to having guy friends because my brothers, in a way, raised me. I would dress and act like a boy at times, even though I was the opposite gender. Everyone who was Hispanic would look at me when I was in public. Now that I am older, I understand that we young ladies should be dressing pleasantly and neatly. However, I didn't like it at times; it didn't feel like me. Now, there are moments when I want to be girly, but I would not hesitate to dress like I used to. I do want to try being more girly because I wouldn't want to seem like I am disrespecting my culture. I just focused more on my identity than my culture, and I know I can balance them and be satisfied with both. 

Summary: Today in class, we read the story "Why I Want a Wife" and were able to write 15 things on why i want a husband. 

Reflection: Gender roles play a crucial part in our lives and society. Sometimes, a specific role might not be something a person wants. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Write about a time when you were judged unfairly.

Pretend you are writing a blog entry as Celie; the moment you uncover the hidden letters. Describe what you would think, say, and do, and how this discovery would reshape how you see Mister and yourself. Reflect on why this moment would matter so much and how it would change your next choices.

After reading the first five letters of The Color Purple, reflect on your thoughts and emotions as you experienced Celie’s early voice and struggles